- Special Collections
- Lending Library
- Friends of the Library
Thread Library’s mission is to connect textiles to the concept of ‘information.’
We do this through:
- A growing collection of donated threads. At Thread Library, we catalog each thread as if it is a book.
- Access points for a general public to engage with our Thread collections, including digitization, exhibitions, publications, and instruction.
- A lending library in Iowa City which circulates textile books and tools.
All aspects of Thread Library collections and programming aim to associate textiles with formal methods for organizing and classifying knowledge.
- Thread Library foregrounds textiles as a technology, and textile production as a cognitive process.
- We envision an architecture for information that celebrates the decorative, material, personal, subjective, and tangible nature of textiles alongside their technical character.